Saturday, July 2, 2011

Adverbs & Adverb Types


Adverbs are words that modify verbs, that is, they describe verbs. They also show to what degree something has been done. Many adverbs end in -ly. For example:
  • Annie walked quietly into the room.
  • My house was completely destroyed in the earthquake.
  • He blatantly ignored my request.
Sometimes we use adverbs that do not end in -ly and we often refer to these as irregular adverbs. For example:
  • I’ve heard enough of your get rich quick schemes!
  • Martin screwed the lid on the peanut butter jar tight.
  • You’re going to have to drive your car fast to get there on time.
An adverb can also modify other words such as adjectives.
  • The whole lesson was extremely boring.
    (The adjective is boring)
  • The stones were hot enough to fry an egg on them.
    (The adjective is hot)
  • The man was completely unaware of the crime.
    (The adjective is unaware)
An adverbial can often be a phrase or a group of words that function as an adverb. For example:
  • Get down here as quickly as possible.
  • We get together twice a week for dinner.
  • The children could run around to their heart’s content.


Adverbs of Manner, Time, Place and Frequency

There are different types of adverbs and they do a lot of work. However, in this module we are going to examine just four types of adverb:
Adverbs of Manner
These adverbs concentrate on how something is done. For example:
  • Please don’t speak so quickly. I can’t hear what you are saying.
  • The man walked hurriedly to the train station.
  • The man next door plays his music so loudly. He must be deaf.
Adverbs of Time
These adverbs concentrate on when something is done.
  • Shall I come round now?
  • I saw Martin last week.
  • I saw him yesterday.
Adverbs of Place
These adverbs concentrate on where something is done.
  • Shall we meet here again another time?
  • There it is! Can you see it?
  • I was walking through the mountains and everywhere I could hear the sound of grazing sheep.
Adverbs of Frequency
These adverbs concentrate on how often something is done.
  • I usually go to the cinema every week.
  • I always catch the train to work.
  • Martin plays chess occasionally.
We often use adverbials that generally give more information when we use these kinds of adverbs, such as:
  • I go to the cinema about four times a month.
  • I catch the train to work most days.
  • Martin plays chess a couple of times a year

No comments:

Post a Comment